Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas

I'm ready for it to be over.

I do love Christmas. It's my favorite holiday. I love the carols and putting up the tree and the excitement of my children on Christmas morning. My main complaint is that Christmas doesn't end on December 26.

It's December 29 today and we're finally on our last trip for Christmas celebration. The joy of seeing family and friends ended some time ago. I could really give a hoot whether we go today or not. It's not the family that we're going to see; if they had been earlier, I would have been more enthusiastic. It's the fact that this is my tenth Christmas "party" of the season. When you add in my son's birthday celebrations, I will have had 12 wonderful, joyous get-togethers with people that I care for. We will have eaten celebratory meals and exchanged gifts, talked and laughed and simply enjoyed being with these people. Lovely times with lovely people.

And I'm sick of it.

I want to go home, sit in my lazyboy and do absolutely nothing. I want to have no visits hanging over my head. I want that tree out of my living room and I want the garbage bags of paper hauled off for good. I want to hear rock n roll instead of beloved holiday jingles. I want the melodious laughter of my children to silence into the murmurs of video game playing and television watching while I cease to think and plan and coordinate. I want a good eleven months to pass before I hear any more bells ring, other than school bells to dismiss my classes. I want the end of Christmas.

And I want it now. I guess tomorrow will have to do, but I'm not happy about it. 

I'll make myself enjoy riding with my friend to my aunt's house and I'm sure that I will enjoy being at her house and eating her food and opening presents one last time. I'll be grateful for the time we have together and I'll delight in the sound of my kids' voices enthusiastically receiving the gifts that my aunt spent hours shopping for. It will be good; I know it will.

But it won't be quite as good as the next day when Christmas is finally over.

Finally. Over.

Snuggie, here I come. Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment