Tuesday, August 16, 2011

There Must Be a Full Moon

I'm tired. I have no particular reason to be so tired, but I am. I slept well last night and got my usual hours. I did nothing particularly strenuous at work today, and when I came home, I sat on my new porch swing and read a book. Yet I'm tired.

And I'm kinda pissed. I had the greatest yearbook theme ever for this year's book. We create the master for the next year in the spring so that the second semester class can complete the spreads for the events that happen in the spring. (We have a spring delivery book, so each year's spring sports appear in the next year's book. A March deadline pretty much necessitates that process.) I have four unusual editors who share my sense of humor while spanning the different social groups in the school. There's one from just about every clique in a high school. Luckily they all get along well and were ecstatic over the theme. We even had the cover ready to go.

Then, over the summer, the elementary school secretary said something to me about how she was excited that her daughter was going to get the special 50th yearbook I was doing. I was all, "HUH?" and she was like, "Yeah, it's the 50th graduating class, so I figured you were going to do a really special book."

Hence, I'm pissed. I was excited about the coolest theme possibly ever, had completed the masters, designed the cover, and was more than ready to rock and roll when school came back in. Instead, I'm now scrambling to try to revamp the masters and come up with a theme that, no matter how good, will never be the awesome theme we had. My editors are all fairly broken-hearted and could give a real rip about their senior book now. I'm with them.

My sense of social justice tells me that I absolutely have to make it relate to the 50 years. My sense of satisfaction and total geekery says screw it. The internal battle between the me-that-is and the me-that-my-mother-wanted rages on.

And I'm pretty sure there's a full moon. A full moon encourages my creative side to stab the logical side with a large serrated blade because that does more damage and leaves scars.

So, I'm tired. Too tired for a decent conclusion to this blog, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment